Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Welcome and Introduction!

Greetings! I am starting a new blog to minister to those that need financial assistance to ask questions, seek support, or just vent about money related issues. I am also doing this selfishly to organize my thoughts into a concise process that I can follow to insure that I stay on track with my money.

Some of my previous experiences in dealing with various money related issues include working as the Chief Financial Officer for a $135+ million organization, serving the United Methodist Church as the Conference Treasurer for 914 churches, owning 68 rental units valued at over $2 million, completing my Accounting degree (Tennessee), receving an MBA in Finance (South Carolina), training in Financial Planning (Boston University), completing leadership courses (Harvard & Wisconsin), completion of the Executive Development Program at the University of Tennessee, and many other real world experiences and real life problems.

Sounds impressive, doesn't it! Yet, even with all of these accomplishments, education, and other experiences, I am still challenged daily to fulfill my mission to be a shrewd manager of God's resources. Even though I know the right things to do, sometimes it is hard to do these things. My struggles include providing the necessary lifestyle for my family; being generous with the gifts, talents, and resources that God has blessed me with; saving for college for our four boys; planning to retire one day; and starting my own business.

I want to share an inspirational verse from the Message Bible that keeps me grounded as I try to pursue the things of this world.

Malachi 3:10

"Bring your full Tithe to the Temple treasury so there will be ample provisions in my Temple. Test me in this and see if I don’t open heaven itself to you and pour out blessings beyond your wildest dreams."

I don’t know about you, but even though I don’t drive the nicest car, wear the nicest clothes, or live in the best house, I want to test God in this and see what He has in store for me and my family, even when the numbers don’t add up or I can’t figure it out on my own.

I want to close with a poem that indicates how I can become selfish with the resources that I have been given and to focus on giving God my best, and not just what is leftover at the end of my paycheck.


Leftovers

Leftovers are such humble things,

We would not serve to a guest,
And yet we serve them to our Lord
Who deserves the very best.
We give to Him leftover time,
Stray minutes here and there.
Leftover cash we give to Him,
Such few coins as we can spare.
We give our youth unto the world,
To hatred, lust and strife;
Then in declining years we give
To him the remnant of our life.
- Source unknown
I challenge you today to give God your best in terms of time, gifts, and money. Together we can discover our unique blessings, talents, and opportunities that we have been given to make a difference in the world.

No comments: